Vino Cotto di Montillo is my newest discovery for adding a little burst of flavor to all sorts of dishes. It’s a naturally-sweet “cooked wine” syrup that contains no alcohol or vinegar, no high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, and no sugar. In fact, nearly three pounds of wine grapes are used to produce one 8.5 ounce bottle.
I recently drizzled it over antelope chops while they were cooking and it served as a delicious, slightly sweet glaze. Later, I tried a splash over a scoop of dark chocolate gelato and in both cases it added a fantastic depth of flavor.
You can use it as a “secret” ingredient to:
- Add a little pop of flavor to beef, game, chicken, pork, ham, turkey, salmon, shrimp and veggies
- Create delectable sauces, marinades, balsamic vinegar (by adding a tiny bit of distilled vinegar) and salad dressings
- Drizzle over a variety of cheeses, fruit, or yogurt
- Top your favorite ice cream, pancakes, waffles, and French toast
- Substitute for honey, maple, corn or golden syrups when baking biscuits, cookies or cakes as a healthy, tasty alternative
Go to Vino Cotto to learn more or order your bottle. This would also make a wonderful holiday gift!
Vino Cotto is a family-owned and operated company located in Framingham, Massachusetts. The Montillo family has been producing this delightful syrup in Calabria, Italy for over 100 years for personal use and began to produce it commercially in October, 2008.